A detailed event guide, complete with pictures, anecdotes and stories from 3 Canadian missionaries in Dublin Ireland.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

The Day My Hair Caught Fire ...

So far, not a good day. Kiki left early to meet her friend for lunch, and when I (Jen) emerged from my comatose state and started to get ready, the stench of a "bad day" fell upon me. I went to take a shower and the bathroom light burnt out - our house is far too dark to take a shower without the light on, so I am shower-less. I couldn't reach the bulb to change it, and the chair wouldn't fit through the unreasonably small door way - so I couldn't even change the bulb. I was annoyed. I figure, "Oh well, I showered last night, I will just straighten my hair with Kiki's brand spankin' new straightener (that gets up to 215 degrees) and I will head out.

So, I heat up the straightener, and go right for my bangs. I don't know why I did this. I never ever straighten my bangs first - I go in layers. I straighten the very bottom layer of my hair (you know, the most HIDDEN layer) first and then work my way to the top. Today, no - I just went for the most noticed and front most part of my hair. It took a good 3 seconds before I realized that my hair was smoking and (wait for it) the straightener was melting and my hair was on fire. (The large amount of hair spray used in my hair yesterday was no doubt a factor.) I gasped, and removed the straightener, struggling with where to place it - not on the lacquered wood table, not on the porcelain plate, not on the plastic bag ... so finally I ripped the chord out of the wall and put it in the sink. (No, there was no water in it and the chord itself wasn't in the sink!) I returned to the mirror to survey the damage - and there it was. This 3 inch long singe mark right in front of my head - BRIGHT ORANGE and very very unattractive. And oh THE SMELL. You all know what burnt hair smells like right? Couple that with perm solution and you're approaching the smell of my roasted coiffe. So, here's what my head looks like today - complete with head scarf so no one can see that I no longer have bangs - just what looks like an orange brillo pad stapled to my forehead.


From this image, you can't really see where the fire began but if you would indulge me by taking a look at the next image ...


And there it is. My finger (looking unnaturally long) is pointing at the exact place (under the strategically placed scarf) that the horrible orange fuzz is.

That's all for now, I hope you enjoyed my humiliation - Kiki sure did.

Much Love,
~ J

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Jen, I'm kind of late(couple of years I think)reading the Ireland blogs(didn't actually know what a blog was then)but know I'm catching up(if I could figure out how to read them in order instead of backwards,that would help)and just wanted to say how awesome you all are. You're so funny. You all are so beautiful. Ireland was so lucky to have you. I don't know if you'll ever read this(being acouple years late and all)but that's okay I just wanted to say how I've enjoyed reading the Ireland blog. thanks, the Father's love and blessings on all Jortosh. marj(Josh's mom)

3:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home