A detailed event guide, complete with pictures, anecdotes and stories from 3 Canadian missionaries in Dublin Ireland.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

People Who DIY ...

Okay, honestly now - do you DIY? As in Do It Yourself? I don't. I most definitely do NOT do it myself. That's why I know boys. I know that's like 100 steps back for the feminist movement, but I look ridiculous in a hard hat and plaid just isn't my colour. I know boys like Eric and Josh and Justin (here in Ireland) who can Do It Themselves, and then I won't have to worry about it. However, today, and yesterday, I Did It Myself (with Kiki's help of course).

When we got our internet, the deal was, they give you the snappy looking box, and you set it up yourself. Kiki and I don't do well with things that can break ... or electrocute us (i.e. the exploding hair dryers on Day 1). But I decided to try and set up the internet connection (and install Windows on our computer) all by myself. So I did. It took me 2 days to set up and properly install Windows and then 3 weeks to get the internet to work. And when we finally did, there was a huge drama about the computer not being in the right spot and Kiki wanting it in the kitchen - so we went out and bought a longer ethernet chord (I know that's not worded properly but I just install it, I'm not lingo savvy). We picked up a 3 meter one and it wasn't long enough - so ... we bought a 20 meter chord. Kiki would like to point out that some might find a 20 meter electric chord a little excessive - but to her, it's just practical. And by the time we had wound it all the way around the kitchen, over the cupboards and doors and down to the computer - she was right. With a mere 2 meters to spare, we hooked it all up. I scaled the kitchen counters, balanced precariously on the stove, and Kiki handed me tape. It was fantastic. We Did It Ourselves. For those of you who do this all the time, I applaud you. Now if you wouldn't mind, we have a couple pipes that are broken and could use a look-see...

Tina, I think your advice to become an electrician may be a little off base judging by this last little expedition - I stood on the stove and TAPED a chord to the cupboard. Hmmm ...

** Just a quick announcement - for those of you who care, Kiki just bought "snazzy new yellow, purple and blue velcro shoes" from the hippest shoe store in Ireland. Not like, Granny velcro, but the new "hip" velcro. I also have a pair - thank God the 80's are back because velcro is a lazy gals best friend.

J and K

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes for velcro shoes, now i am not the only one with them, arent they amazing!!!!
love you gals!

-chelsey

10:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home