A detailed event guide, complete with pictures, anecdotes and stories from 3 Canadian missionaries in Dublin Ireland.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Impromptu Ministry Night

It's 8:15pm here and we are exhausted! Our last post was about DIY - and not half an hour later we were outside with 4 adorable children. It's nights like these that remind us why we're here. We were just bumming around the house when a little girl showed up - she's loud, she's cheeky and she's fabulous. She comes over every day just to see what's new. Then another girl came running - Kiki's favourite. She's this beautiful, well mannered girl but she's got this dramatic flair that makes her completely hysterical. Example: We told her we had to go in for the night, and she argued that we had to stay out and play with her because as soon as we leave, she's packing up and moving to "the strip". She's kind of the ring leader of the group. Then came a young lad - he's got firey red hair and a heart of gold - he's this big gymnastics buff and can cartwheel himself into the splits - CRAZY!

We hung out with these kids for over 2 hours and swung them around, chased them, hugged them and let them climb all over us. I'm tired but delighted - Kiki is chuffed. In fact, she's so excited, she's now making sugar cookies.

Full time ministry isn't an option for us right now as we have to work and pay rent - but if it was an option, I'd very much like to think we could do it. I was so impressed to watch Kiki turn herself into a jungle gym for these kids - and her smile never faltered. I glanced around me and my cheeky little friend jumped up and hugged me. She smiled "This is the best night of my life. No one ever plays with us. You guys are so cool." She then hugged me so tight, my eyes welled up. And when I thought it couldn't get any better, she whispered in my ear "I love you Jen". I love her too. We love these kids. It's not easy being here with all of the crazyness and spiritual attacks - but nights like this make it worth it. What was going to be a night of relaxation turned into a impromptu night of worship. I believe that what we're doing here is a ministry - absolutely. But I also believe that ministering to these kids (and allowing them to minister to us) is, in essence, worship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home